February 16, 2011

palermo, parques, y polleras

Ten. Days. Is that really it? It feels like years have gone by since I last nommed on a TomBasMozzPaneen from Naples. But alas, I have many, many more days until I can savor that sweet taste in my mouth once again.

I’m definitely getting over the whole five-hours-of-class-five-days-a-week thing. It’s like I’m in high school again. However, I am very grateful that UB’s Spanish summer courses (yes…it’s summer here!!) do not come with an MPS-like homework load. By 3PM I manage to escape the dreariness of the university to soak up the sun in one of the nearby parks. It doesn’t get dark until 8-8:30ish (with the sun still fully shining until at least 6 or 6:30). And with temperatures in the 80’s every day without a cloud in the sky, who wouldn’t want to lie out by the lake at Parque Tres de Febrero after class? I. Love. Summer. I think that it is safe to say that I am not missing the Northern Hemisphere one bit. Well, except for Naples’ paninis.

Learning how to tango was interesting, to say the least. My incredible lack of both dexterity and short term memory made it very difficult to complete one set (is that the correct dance term?) of moves (again…what’s the right word?). Clearly, the dance world is not ready for my expertise. We were in a room with at least sixty or seventy other beginners, and the boy to girl ratio was about 1:25, so it’s safe to say that I am by no means a tango aficionado. Well, at least not yet.

After (not) tango-ing, I returned home for dinner and then met up with some friends for the night. I attempted to party like a local Argentine (aka staying out until MORNING), but failed by coming home at 4:30. When I told Silvia (my host mother) what time I came home, she responded: ¡Que temprano! (How early!) Yes, my host mother said this. I. Am. Lame.

However, the next morning I had an appointment to get my Argentine Criminal Record. Let’s just say I was a little…weak…(shout out Formica fam!) and thus was “unable” to make it to my 8AM appointment. The office is literally located on the opposite side of BA, requiring me to leave my house at least an hour prior to my appointment. How DARE they expect me to make it on time (…or at all) on a Friday morning? That was just an unreasonable request, if you ask me. Buttttttt, I was able to reschedule for Monday morning (at 9AM…that extra hour of sleep is KEY when you have to sit through five hours of Spanish grammar excersises).

This weekend I was able to explore the neighborhood of Palermo. I found this sandwich place in my Fodor’s Buenos Aires book (THANKS MOM!), which was AMAZING! They have so many different sandwiches and salads, and I was able to satisfy my smoked salmon craving. This weekend I also attempted to party like an Argentine, but again failed. One day I WILL come home when it’s light outside, ¡te lo juro!

I have joined a yoga studio where I will be going 3-4 times a week. IDEAL location: right around the corner from my apartment and a block from UB. I also happen to love (…LOVE) the yoga instructor so...I’m excited!

After yoga today I went to a park with a few friends and we began to plan our Spring Break (…even though it’s not spring) trip to Uruguay! We will be sticking to the beach cities (Punta del Este and La Paloma) while it’s still summer; hopefully in the fall or winter I’ll be able to go back to see Colonia and Montevideo.

Courtney Durham wants a shoutout…so here it is.

I have a midterm tomorrow…didn’t class JUST start? Ah, the downfalls of taking a month-long class for semester credits. Harumi, one of the cats in my house, is pregnant and should be having kittens any day now! Maybe I'll try and smuggle some back to the US.

Chau,
audgentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment